5 notes to self

31 Dec 2015

Time to take stock of the year gone past. It's been the most craziest, most eventful year of my life so far. And mine has not exactly been an uneventful life. I have witnessed highs and lows of all kinds. The lesser said the better. I will refrain from making this a 'taking stock of my entire life'.

Exactly a year ago, I woke up to the news of the demise of a great individual. Whose qualities are deeply entrenched in me and play an important role in forming the best part of who I am. My grand father.

Two weeks hence, I travelled to Dubai to perform in 2 plays as part of the Gulzaar festival at the Ductac. The plays are called "sunte ho" and "arey o henry".  In March, I travelled to Ras Al Khaima, to shoot the first schedule of a Hindi feature film, I bagged a role in. Film called "Airlift" slated to release on 22 Jan 2016.

On March 29th, I made a come back to the advertising industry after a year's hiatus as senior planning director at Ogilvy and Mather. In April, my role at O&M took me on a 4 day trip to Chicago.

By July, I had been finalised for a full time role in a then upcoming hindi sit-com called 'Kota Toppers' to be aired on Bindass. This required me to take 2 months off from everything else to shoot. My boss at Ogilvy was gracious enough to accommodate my requirement. I shot through August, September and a few days into November. Fortunately the dates of the remaining shoot schedule of Airlift also happened during this break.

I have been back in office working long days and through weekends, often, because I am committed to Ogilvy for accommodating my need to follow my passion, when that opportunity dawned on me.

Presently, my TV show is on air. Airlift is due for release on Jan 2016. A short film called 'red stop' that I shot for 2 years ago, is finally online.

I look forward to 2016. I am going to remember what I remembered in the last 2 years. The 5 notes to self that I try to never forget about:

Notetoself #1
Keep it simple - don't overthink it - your gut is never wrong.

Notetoself #2 
Be true - this ad made by Ogilvy sums it up beautifully - give truth a chance. for those who  don't get hindi (The key point in the ad is to discover the peace that lies in truth) The ad. Also see this one

Notetoself #3
Be kind - most people find this hard to understand at first but really, there is NEVER anything to lose from being kind. No. There isn't.

Notetoself #4
Be courageous - Just go for it. Speak up. Step up. Do it. Free yourself from the fear of failing, of making a fool of yourself, of being disagreed with. Acknowledge who you are and be ok with who people think you are. Trust and have faith in yourself.

Notetoself #5
Don't get carried away -  there will be times where you'll make mistakes, you will fail, you will feel humiliated. And there will be be times when you will win, you will shine, you will succeed. Remember to not get carried away by either - neither by the highs nor by the lows. Know that everything is temporary. So, if it's good, just relish the present. Feel it fully. And if it's bad, know that it will pass. The perspective you get from this awareness is important to keep going and to be peaceful. Peace of mind is everything.

PS: I wrote this on Dec 31st and forgot to publish it, no idea why. It was Kerala new year, two days ago, so this still works as a new year post. The film Airlift got released and became part of  what they call the 200 crore club (Not that I am taking credit for it, just taking stock :)) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!