Coming up to speed with Calcutta's speed

I visited Calcutta again two days ago. This was the third time. The first time, I was yet to be born. My mother was carrying me when she visited the city. The second time was in 2009. So, charmed was I that I burst into a blog post titled "falling in love".

After that trip I got a chance to go there for a single day, two days ago. It was a work trip.
I wondered if I would still love it as much as I did the last time. I considered the fact that perhaps I was predisposed to a romantic state of mind last time and that this time, I may not experience the same vibe.

I thought wrong. Like a long lost lover, Calcutta rekindled those familiar feelings.

The gentle trickle of bengali all around me started at the Mumbai airport itself, which I soaked in silently. I did not mean to eavesdrop. It was just to listen to the language. The language that first touched my ears when I watched Ray's pather panchali several years ago.

In Calcutta, when I sat in the car booked for me and spoke to the driver, I detected his strong Bihari accent. While the Bihari accent is another favourite of mine, at this point of time, it was a bit disappointing because it diluted my 'bengali' experience a bit. But soon the disappointment turned into gratitude. Mr. Sushil, my driver turned out to be a fantastic guide. He spoke to me about every nook and cranny he drove me through. The names, history, significance complete with both, the insider and outsider perspective on things.

I was in Calcutta for about 6 hours, out which I had about 4 hours of consumer research work. I had about two hours of free time, to breath in as much of Calcutta as I could manage. Flurry's felt like a good option. So I headed there. When I walked into Flurrys, the time was 3pm. It was mostly empty. I looked around and picked a table next to the large window and dreamily stared at the outside when a man, broke by reverie with an "excuse me.." he looked like a waiter to me. I figured he was asking for my order. So I pointed out that I didnt have a menu. But he says," but this is a table for four.." I found this amusing because the restaurant was practically empty. I tried to reason with him, "I am only going to be here for about 20 mins..." by which time, this other man gestured from a distance to us,  saying that it was okay. And that I could sit where I was. Meanwhile, I had spotted a smaller table, which also happened to be by a window. I offered to shift.

But, equipped with the approval from his colleague, this man, now had a change of heart. He said "all yours maa'm..its okay... please sit here" I thanked him and went back to staring out of the window, pondering about whether I should remind them about handing me a menu card. I didn't really care. I wasn't particularly hungry. I just wanted to sit there, slow down and come to slow-pace with Calcutta.

I had barely done this for a minute, when this old man, one who clears tables, absent-mindedly loitered over to my table and stopped, bang in my line of vision. Of course he didn't notice or seem to care that he was blocking my view. His gaze was fixed on a stain he had detected on my deep brown, wooden table-top. Next, he gets busy scratching at the stain with his finger-nail. the concept of "customer is king" is yet to hit this part of the world that is Flurys. I was insignificant. His grumpy expression as the stain on the table defeated him was priceless. He tried for a few seconds before he casually walked away, grumpy expression intact.

In  a few minutes someone got me a menu card who was followed by the man who had initially objected to my choice of table. This time he said, "Are you comfortable maa'm? Have you placed your order?"

It took them about 10 minutes. But, I was now being treated like a valued customer.Well, take your time Calcutta, because I find you beautiful, just the way you are.




Comments

samurai said…
Hi pooja, How are you...looks like everyones gone over to facebook or twitter..no one seems to be around here anymore...
Pooja Nair said…
Hi Samurai!
i am guilty for the same. but ya once in a while, i feel like coming back.. thanks for acknowledging my presence here. feels good. :)
shanks said…
Never a flurry at Flury's, eh? :)
Pooja Nair said…
heh..thats right. Never a flurry at Flury's. :)
Kanishka said…
is this deja vu or have I heard this before :) ..though truly at flury's...time stops still. I did pay a ransom to see an empty flury's the last ten days of the year...and that space isn't just that then...it is a metaphor for all things good...the final nail in the middle classes mirage to occupy one table and look around as if they did spot a carriage or the burrah sahebs take their evening stroll....

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!