My thoughts in London

I have been meaning to write about this for a few months now. Ever since I got back from my 9 day trip to London, to be precise. But something or the other always came up. Anyway, this is better than never right? :)

If I ever made a list of the 10 best days of my life, one of the days from my trip to London would surely be on it. It was the first time I made a holiday trip all on my own. So, it was just me and my thoughts in London. 

Needless to say there was a lot of talking that went on in my head between me and my many alter-egoes. I was mostly very happy. Euphoric. As if i had been injected with a stimulant.

London worked as a happiness drug for me because everything makes sense in London. Let me talk about public transport for instance: a shining example of common sense at work

There is information available at every such location where logically a traveler would feel the need for it. Not only is there a map of the area installed outside every tube station. It also marks out the area that is within 5-15 mins of walking distance. In the Mumbai locals on the other hand, there is no key available anywhere whatsoever! What do C, BO, D, B, BY etc stand for? And if you want to go to Dadar, do you have to take a C bound train or a BY bound train? There is no map available. Anywhere. You just have to learn on the job, the hard way. Fellow passengers are typically happy to help (small mercies) That's pretty much how India functions.  Maybe its supposed to be a part of the roller-coaster adventure style experience that India is expected to offer. Beats me. 

In addition to this at certain stations, the announcement went beyond simply announcing the station by mentioning the list of major landmarks/ tourist attractions in that area. e.g "alight here for the museums".

On buses, in India I have seen seats designated for ladies or for the elderly. In Sri Lanka, i have seen seats reserved for clergymen/priests too. In London, its simpler. There is a message in every bus which says "please give-up your seats for those who need it more" its simple. it leaves it to the seated passenger to use his/or her discretion - it could be someone with too many shopping bags. It could be a woman with a baby. it could be a senior citizen. It could be a young person who is unwell.

At one of the parks I visited, I found a sign which required you to not enter a certain area. Now, in India they would typically make do with a "do not enter". In London, however the board spoke to you a little more than that. "we regret to ask you to please not enter this area because it is too swampy and can be dangerous for you and for the birds living there" or something to that effect. Can't remember exactly.

Other things that made me happy in London is the widespread sense of aesthetics. Everywhere i looked - balconies, gardens, cafes, buildings, streets, flea-markets - everything worked as an inspiration in design and beauty.

Someday I wish I could spend a year in London, just to watch all the musicals and plays running at Leicester Square. 

Oh and the reason I compare London to India is because that is my only frame of reference. Don't get me wrong. I love India too. I love India for being so full of character, culture and heritage. I love Sri Lanka too (spent a year there once) for a different set of reasons. London, I love mainly for its common sense and elegance. And theater. 



Comments

Sheela said…
Am happy u went ,in spite of my apprehensions
Pooja Nair said…
thank you amma. i love you! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!