Dil ek Shukriya

Life comes with its sets of ups and downs. For example I am listening to sexy Cohen (Dance me to the end of love) right now. But, for some reason, the left ear of my head phone is defective. So I am hearing the serenade through just one ear and its diluting the experience a bit. See? Ups and down to the same situation right there! (and in case you are worried...my left ear is fine. I checked. It IS the headphone thats defective)

So, the learning that's working for me these days is that you need to always celebrate your blessings while accepting your share of the 'downs' gracefully. And also that you must not get carried away by either happiness or sorrow. Because they follow each other in an eternal cycle. Nothing is forever except this circle.

I just look at every situation under the "control" lens. (An old friend told me about this many years ago, but I am truely being able to put it in practice only now) Either things are in your control or they are not. If they are in your control then go ahead and do what you feel you must. But, if its not something you can control, then accept that and let go.

My truth is that life is a combination of what you make of it and what circumstances throw at you. You will try to control what is potentially controllable and you will accept as your destiny what is not in your control. The trick lies in the ability to make this distinction and act accordingly.

This new learning has taught me to be thankful.

Title acknowledgement: Thank you Meraj Hasan for letting me borrow from your scribblings.
Title translation: My heart is a big Thankyou.

Comments

Brown Weed said…
grateful, no? grace, no? i too understand only now what it is all about. god is afterall, just a metaphor. in the words of Cohen - 'There is a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in.'
(and the guy at Blue Sea played well afterall)
Pooja Nair said…
So happy for you Dear Mr. Bojangles. And i love this Cohen quote. But then i love everything that drops from his mind... :)

And sure that guy kept us tapping our feet...and we all had a great time.
meraj said…
you are welcome, and glad you found my scribbling worthy of giving your philosophy, a title.
nkshirsa said…
this is very nice.. well written !

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!