Taking that first step

Theater had been trying to seduce me since ever but I was afraid. I was afraid of making a fool of myself. I was afraid that when i would be asked to perform, i would just freeze and not be able to move a toe also. Something like that. My mind is capable of being really counter-productive sometimes.

Somewhere in August last year, it occurred to me, like a flash of lightening that the only thing that was stopping me from following my dreams was...wait for it... me. (yes i am a sitcom junkie) I was my only obstacle. My fear of the embarrassment of rejection/failure was all that was stopping me.

I told myself, "if you do get rejected, you would at least have the satisfaction of knowing for a fact that you did what you could" Also, in this new-found clarity of thought, I was able to see that all i really wanted was to act. Recognition for it would only be a bonus. Just to be immersed in the world of theater alone would make me really happy. This made me think of wholesome happiness. A subject I shall save for a different post.

So, equipped with this great new realization, I browsed the net, searched for theater workshops/classes etc. One thing led to another and I found myself safe and happy in the arms of my beloved. Somethings are just meant to be.

PS: I can't think of a nice enough title to this love story. Suggestions welcome.

PPS: Title acknowledgement: I'd like to thank Suchitra Ghosh for suggesting this lovely title.

Comments

mathew said…
pooja...knowing you from school..i never imagined you had such profound interest in theater...But i now feel this realisation you will do wonders for you..cheers..
Pooja Nair said…
@mathew,

Now i know how little attention you paid me in school ;). Do you even remember we enacted Meera Bai in class 9? I was Meera Bai in Act 1.

And in class 11, I played Cicilia in "the importance of being earnest" both directed by Joseph Sir.

I had really really enjoyed it!! :)
mathew said…
hehe..Pooja..yes yes I remember that..;-P wow..u have good memory!!
btw..i tried to forget the play "the importance of being earnest" as soon as it was over..i remember i was responsible for cutting a 2 hours play to 45 min as I forgot all the dialogue's and actually started narrating the climax part! am not sure..but i guess it was that play..hahaha..
Pooja Nair said…
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!! i had forgotten this...well, i was afraid to admit it then.. but i really really loved acting...it was just not the kind of thing science stream students spoke about.. it was always about hydrocarbons and calculus and things..:p
Brown Weed said…
it's your own udaan. lovely!
Pooja Nair said…
Indeed Mr. Bojangles!! Thank you :D
Anonymous said…
'Taking that first step'
That's what occurred to me when I read the post. So here it is - my suggestion for the title :)
Besides that, good job on the theatre scene. I've been trying to tell myself I can dance with two left and two right feet. I wonder how that'll happen, but I guess I will tread on the first step too! :)
Pooja Nair said…
@Withinaninchoflife, Its perfect. It aptly brings out the essence of this story. Thank You!
Hey...this is not completely accurate... you have done theater outside of school and college too...
Pooja Nair said…
Princess Aliya!!! :)

I watched Aladdin from the audience. I wasn't even in the backstage! :) So, that doesn't count. Sorry.

Good to hear from you! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!