My views on terrorism


A misunderstanding has been reported from certain quarters about my views on terrorism. I "seem" to justify Islamic terrorism in India, but also condemn LTTE terrorism in Sri Lanka. This post is for those who may be interested in understanding my views better.

When I acknowledge the possible causes of terrorist activity, it does not mean that I justify it. I condemn violence. I do not approve of it no matter what the causes.

To avoid spurring terrorism it is necessary to have a clear understanding of why terrorists resort to terrorism. Only then can we avoid making mistakes whilst tackling it.

I disapprove of the majority community in a nation demanding or actively working towards establishing superiority because this makes minority groups insecure and possibly react in a rash manner. Meanwhile, I also disapprove of terrorists resorting to violence to get their way. I believe that violence can never lead to anything constructive.

So, whose side am I on. you ask? Well, I am not taking sides.

If I am talking to the terrorist, I say to him, "I think your methods are flawed"

If I am talking to the majority community in a nation, I say to them, "I think you must refrain from subjugating minority communities. it could cause them to flare up"

Do you find me confusing?

Comments

scorpiogenius said…
Not only you or your explanation, but I find the whole logic behind these terrorism and ploys of counter-terrorism confusing. ;)
Pooja Nair said…
Scorpiogenius,

Regarding your confusion about me, let me put it plainly in a single line:

I am against violence.

Regarding your confusion about the rest of the things you have mentioned, well you will have to arrive at your own conclusions like others have...

Until then, happy researching, thinking etc! :)
Anonymous said…
Hey Pooja,
I can totally understand your point of view. Have often found myself wondering and debating the origin and need of this phenomenon called terrorism. Your post reminds me of a character called Taslima Jehangir from the movie 'Crossing Over'. She expresses her opinion about why terrosists do what they do and is mistaken for supporting them. Its a nice movie. Have you watched it?
Pooja Nair said…
Hi lmtamommy!

So, glad that someone in the blogworld shares my point of view! phew! :)

I have not seen this movie. Will see it. Sounds interesting. Thanks!
Abhilash said…
Cool! Appreciate the explanation!
-from 'certain quarters'
Pooja Nair said…
Abhilash...hehehe... thanks friend!
kedar said…
nope, i thinks it's absolutely fair. i just wish the people in power saw it that way too.

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!