Terrible, terrible dandruff!

We see numerous shampoo ads claiming they can eliminate dandruff.

They talk of magic ingredients - lemon extracts, the famous ZPTO, mint etc that supposedly chase away dandruff.

Victims of dandruff such as I, in blissfull dreams of an itch-free scalp, see ourselves succumb to the lure of these enticing dandruff-combating brands. One after the other, we try out the never-ending string of variants/options.

But, I say, its high time someone got up and asked the question.

"Is there really a cure for dandruff?"

Why is it that you have to continously use anti-dandruff shampoo to keep dandruff at bay?

I have not come across anyone who once had dandruff. If you have dandruff you always will have it.

It also explains why shampoo brands invest so much in this segment.
Infact. it is profitable for dandruff shampoo brands to keep dandruff alive. (Have I just cracked a freakonomics kind of case? Why anti-dandruff shampoos would rather not cure your dandruff? I know. Not a patch on the freakonomics cases. :))

These shampoos can't be real cures because it doesn't make business sense for them to actually cure the dandruff and thereby not get purchased again. What makes business sense is to keep alive the hope of being free of dandruff.

As I see it, any good shampoo (anit-dandruff or not) makes your scalp clean for the moment. The immediate benefits makes you believe the claim of the anti-dandruff shampoo. However, when your scalp begins to itch in a few days, you tell yourself, "that shampoo had worked for me. I will use the same again" Until yet another anti dandruff shampoo ad gets your attention.

I did that for years. Now, I am begining to think its all a hoax.

The fact that there is such frenzy of anti-dandruff shampoos in the market* shows that the dandruff problem is only getting bigger.

It is an epidemic with no cure I'm afraid.

There must be a real cure. I just don't know of it.

I am now using a dandruff busting shampoo bar by LUSH. It smells horrible. Like tar. But LUSH on it's website says, "you'd rather smell of tar than have dandruff in your scalp"

Every other product of LUSH is an extravaganza of fragrance. Infact, thats one of their key selling points besides being handmade.

So, I see an honesty in their dandruff-busting shampoo. I have just used it twice. Can't say anything yet. But, my experience with some other LUSH products has been delightfull. So. lets see.

Meanwhile, do share with me your dandruff woes and what you think may be a good cure...
*True about India and Sri Lanka. Not aware about other markets

Comments

E nigma said…
Try Nizral.. available at all medical shops. Doesn't smell like tar either.
Pooja Nair said…
I tried Nizral too.
It has too many rules..
I couldn't follow them all and it din't work for me. So not blaming the product.
My tar shampoo just says i need to use it whenever i wash my hair... thats easier to follow..also the nice smelling conditioner i use after helps combat the tar smell... :)

Good to see you here da!
E nigma said…
apply on hair. leave for five minutes. wash it off. two times a week. That's 14 words.
Pooja Nair said…
I didn't mean i couldn't comprehend the rules.

"It's difficult to follow" meaning its hard for me to abide by the rules..

i don't always get to wash my hair twice a week

And i don't alwasy have 5 mintues to wait...

Which is why i am not blaming the product. You could blame it on my lack of discipline.

Which is why i prefer LUSH as a possible cure for dandruff :)

Nizral helped you?
Dileep said…
I donno anyway ... "whcih would be the best shampoo for dandruff?"..but I would say if u dont just bother and use coconut oil and anything you like..it mught go!.. hmm I had even had swells on my head during a hot summer!..but my hair had grown wild ever since :)
Be cool and keep your head cool too :)
alien said…
take equal amounts of coconut oil and lemon mix and heat up the solution and apply the same and it will be gone for a season.

repeat if required next season...

Cheers!!!!
Goldbug said…
i know! fotunately mine isn't at an uncontrollable level. i just keep switching shampoos every 3 months... not necessarily anti-dandruff ones.
Pooja Nair said…
Thanks alien and DH R.
Anonymous said…
I used to have dandruff earlier. Alternate day washing of my hair with Head n Shoulders has rid me off the problem.

Now i use shampoo only once a week for my hair.
Pooja Nair said…
thanks for the tip philip9876!
Anonymous said…
Even lime can do wonders for dandruff. apply it on ur scalp n leave it for about 30 mins before your bath and thn wash your hair. for even better result, in your final rinse squeeze 1 entire lime n a mug of water and pour it on your head

Goodbye Dandruff

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!