Purple bracelets for a complaint free world

So far, I had seen 'complaining' as a good outlet. I thought you feel better about a situation once you have complained about it.

But an interview I stumbled upon recently has made me decide to re-engineer myself a bit.

Turns out I was wrong. When complaining becomes a habit, you end up becoming a sad person since you only see the worst side of everything.

The surprising thing is that if you conciously make an effort to stop articulating your complaints, your mind stops creating them. You end up being happier - no matter what your circumstances are. You will be happier just the way things are.

Don't believe it? Well, there's only one way to find out. Try it.

Pastor Will Bowen, the man behind the idea, found that it takes 21 days to form a habit. So if you can hold-up not complaining for 21 days you get hooked to it!

To make things easier he deviced the purple bracelet method. You could try it out with any bracelet, I'm sure. I am giving it a shot without any bracelet.

This morning as I got into the office elevator, a colleague groaned "this is the slowest lift in the world" I immediatly pointed out the one-touch-controls in it and said "but it sure is high tech" We both laughed.

PS: Incase some of you are wondering what I was doing watching the Oprah Winfrey show. Well, I stopped to watch because I found the pastor extremely pleasing to look at. :)

Comments

duende said…
pastors, pleasant looking or otherwise, are strictly out of bounds. do i hear a complain coming? :)
Pooja Nair said…
ha ha ha duende no i am not complaining. my imaginary bracelet remains on the same wrist! :D
Anonymous said…
What a novel idea - I think I will try this myself. I have been learning that when I am complaining I do feel worse. When I am sharing a problem to look for solutions, then it's constructive, and I feel better as long as I am sharing with someone I trust.

Very nice post - thanks! And I enjoyed the funny postscript. :)
Pooja Nair said…
thanks ilegirl!
Dileep said…
i am not only complaining but am getting angry at myself too :)
its a good suggesttion pooja :)
Dileep said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Goldbug said…
damn.. you're cute pooje!
i find smiling at yourself in the mirror every morning bleary eyed and ugly really helps. and that if you must complain then make it a joke.
Pooja Nair said…
Interesting DHR.

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!