Innocence


I remember some of the things I used to think when I was a child. It amazes me that I will never forget some of them.

I knew that the date changed everyday but the month continued for many days. I was not sure for how long. So if it’s August today it will still be August tomorrow and it was August yesterday as well. But if it’s Monday today it will change to something else tomorrow and was something else yesterday. I must have been around 3 at the time.

When my mother was carrying, I thought it was perfectly logical to assume I would have a baby sister simply because my mother herself had a younger sister. I was quite confused the day my brother was born. I had learnt something that day. I was 4 then.

My explanation of the radio was that there were little people inside the box.

I don’t remember if I truely believed in the existence of Fairies or Gods or Ghosts though i liked hearing stories about them. But I remember this. One day in school, when I was 8, a girl in my class told me of her realization that if you said the words “ram-ram” before you slept at night, you would have no nightmares. I found that interesting since the mantra i used to help avoid nightmares was quite different. I always had a nightmare on the days I forgot to say it before I slept. It was a prayer my grandmother had taught me:

“Alatoor hanumane…swapnam onnum katturde….swapnam vanaal…valittu thatti kaliyaname”
(Lord Hanuman of Alatoor….please don’t allow any nightmares…if nightmares do appear…please lash them out with your tail)

This classmate got away by just saying "ram-ram". How was that possible? I immediately concluded that it was all in the mind. It was not Alatoor Hanuman or Rama that was keeping the nightmares away, it was our own minds that was doing the trick. I stopped having nightmares on the days that I forgot to say my prayers. But I never forgot the prayers I learnt as a child.

Comments

Dileep said…
I was not brilliant enuf to think everything was in my mind!.. I was fond of fairy tales and had often imagined that I played the role of the prince-waiting for the princess.

But now-a-days those stories seemed to be dreams-bcoz thr once lived people with honesty, innocence and love- I feel I really miss such characters!

At some point in life, we think we were so innocent to believe "indra" caused rains wen actually clouds bought rains!

finding innocence in ours and others make us live a happy life, help us mature!..don't kill innocence early..as it even boosts your creativity :)
dharmabum said…
thats a profound conclusion for an 8 year old!

i don't remember most of the past. am amazed how you are able to relate such details.

picasso said, 'every child is an artist. the problem is how to remain an artist when we grow up'.

oh, and such a sweet little player in malayalam. love it!
Pooja Nair said…
thanks dharmabum...heh!
mathew said…
quite apt title on innocence of old days..
Solitaire said…
How insightful you were as a child!
Has this insight carried into adulthood? Often,along with innocence, we also lose the importances of lessons learned as a child.
KK said…
Oh man, you've driven me to forceful nostalgia. Still remember reciting that before I slept, which had me fooled till I was 6.

Interesting that Hanuman had a tharavattu pere, for a prefix.
Gauri Gharpure said…
when i must be abt 5 or 6, there was this friend of mine.. I had an idea was elder to her (for mom said so) and tht i ws born in 1984, she was born '85. can u believe me, she convinced she's a year elder for 85 is one more than 84? every time i remember tht argument I have a good laugh, and this time it was for your post that i remembered Baboo again.. :)
wonderful post...

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!