This is an ode to all those fellow human beings who are bestowed with a name that is common. I would call these names popular instead of common. That’s what made these names common in the first place.

My name is one such name in India.

If you threw an orange out of your window and it landed on someone's head who is female, it is likely that her name would be Pooja.

The name transcends the various regions of this vast country. It also transcends the social and economic status in this country known for its economic disparities.

Today, the receptionist at my office informed me that “Pooja wants you to urgently call her back” now such a statement made to anyone in the country is sure to arouse the question “which Pooja?” because, any given person in this country personally knows at least 3 Poojas. My receptionist had carelessly assumed that the given information would be sufficient. She didn't find it peculiar that she happened to be handing over the information to another Pooja. (we could blame her busy schedule)

The confusion took a long time to clear. The firm from which this Pooja called our office had two Poojas working for them. Neither am I the only Pooja in my office.

This experience really pushed the boundaries of the numerous crazy experiences I have had with my name.

I once got the opportunity to travel to a far off land high up in north India in a small village called Pooh. I was highly fascinated by this whole new ethnicity I was being exposed to, just 12 Km from the Chinese border. Totally amazing lifestyle - one of hardship and simplicity and yet of prosperity owing to the apple orchards they owned. I meet this rosy cheeked little doll of a child and asked her her name expecting it to be as exotic as the place she hailed from. “pooja” she replied coyly. I had no words.

There was one time, in the 90's when 'Pooja' was the favorite on-screen name of almost every actress in Hindi cinema. And a character with the name usually embodied all qualities of an ideal Indian lady - virtuous, beautiful and vulnerable. In Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Kareena Kapoor put this to an end once and for all. If you have seen the movie or heard of it, you’d know what I mean. But the name continues to haunt you everywhere you go in the country.

But let’s not allow that to dilute the beauty of the name. It means ‘prayer’. It connotes hope, faith and goodness. I like my name though it would have been great (and a lot less confusing) if it was unique to me.

Comments

meraj said…
very nice post and pic...ive got a rather exotic name and yes i enjoy it...
hmmm names can be confusing and at the same time interestingly points of conversasion. my name for instance is very different but my problem is how difficult is it to pronunce? people end up calling so many differnt things its not funny. but then i m used to it now. i m in the process of making a list of names people call me in a miss-pronunced way.
but ya pooja (nair) i do know 3 other pooja's
Goldbug said…
hehhe. i feel your pain.i used to keep begging my mum as a kid to change mine! now that i like me, i like the name too.
my name with an additional 'a' (that changes the meaning) is a very common name in maharashtra.
u win (or lose) of course considering that pooja transcends all boundaries. heh. i know 3 counting u.
Dileep said…
Hi Pooja,

It was a nice post.. my name is also one of the common ones. When others call me by surname.. I feel sad..but what to do? so nick names becomes rather popular :)
which is also cool
phish said…
thankfully, i am on the exact opposite side of the problem :)
Sudha said…
You could change your name to "Anaamika"

People with unusual names have their list of woes too -having to repeat it many times before people get it, hearing your name being mispronounced, getting stuck with a nickname, etc etc. Anyway, don't worry, like Shakespear wrote...."what's in a name"
Pooja Nair said…
Now that you pointed it out sudha mami, i do remember how some of my friends struggle each time they tel their name to someone...

Having your name mispronounced all the time can be very painful i know...

But you're right! Whats' in a name! :)
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
i wz thinking of sugar n spice n all that's nice when i named u.its my pooja [prayer] that u stay MY pooja ; common or not ;dosn't diminish my delite from itlove amma

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!