Speaking of the weather...

They say, when people have nothing to talk about, a discussion about the weather always works as an effective means of rescue. So, this post might seem like I’ve gone for the last resort after not knowing what to write about next. But then again, the weather these days deserves to be talked about.

I got caught in the rains the first time it poured quite unexpectedly in Bandra, almost a month ago. I was crossing the road to go to Shopper’s Stop to buy something urgently. That was the moment the sky Gods decided to unleash the rain-tap in full throttle. So when I walked into Shopper’s Stop everyone was surprised to see this thoroughly drenched girl, dripping all over, looking for the cosmetics counter. I ventured to confirm their guess, ‘it is raining outside….it just started all of a sudden!’.
One man announced “you are lucky! You have been caught in the first rains”

When I stepped back out, I experienced a wave of joy that had overcome everyone from street urchins to chai waalas to shopper’s stop shoppers. But somehow, I did not feel that joy, in spite of the respite this provided from the scorching heat. I was worried about my Hidesign leather bag that I had paid for with my own money. I was worried about my cell phone in my pocket. I was worried about my hair.

Yet, yesterday, as I watched the rain drops from my window, I fell in love. There is something magical about the rains. It is one of those wonders of nature that makes you feel humble. They look so beautiful as they splash on the ground. I fell in love with this world, with nature, with life for filling me with so much joy!

How, I wish I could free myself from worrying about musty washed clothes and curtains, about rusted cell phones and damaged leather bags, squishy footwear and dirt splashed on my trousers. Well, for starters I bought this really large umbrella - and I mean large. It opens to 2 feet in diameter. One of my friends suggested I use it as a garden umbrella on sunny days. Not a bad idea at all.

Comments

meraj said…
even i got caught in the first rains and i wrote something about it:
http://tangled-up-in-views.blogspot.com/2007/06/raga-malhar-and-its-effect.html
me too bought new umbrella its cool. being a farmers daughter rain is very important. my only problem with it is the government bodies way of handling the season. roads, gutters, trains must be in top order. otherwise rain is good dont know if i would fall in love with it as it is a natural phenomenon.
Dileep said…
Thanks for giving a short story on 'Mumbai Rains'. Alas, what I could say more than the 'hot sunny weather' in Chennai :(. I long for a rain :)
Dileep said…
Hi Pooja......

it started raining in Chennai also..take a look at my blog :)
phish said…
i have bought a bicycle. and the only time i take it out is when it rains. i am glad i stopped by on your blog after a long time. made me feel nicely rained at.

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!