So no one told you life was gonna be this way...


I often face opposition for my love of the series. And yet, my love for F.R.I.E.N.D.S only grows.

I did not jump on the bandwagon that downloaded all the episodes to see them in one go like other fans did. I preferred to catch the episodes on TV whenever I could, considering my erratic schedules. I did not see all the episodes in the right order.

But now, after 7 years of watching, I rarely come across an episode I haven’t seen. Whether I have seen it or not, I can't seem to tire of them.
Watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S almost feels like spending time with your own friends. An episode of F.R.I.E.N.D.S ensures an uplift of my mood like nothing else can just like time spent with friends does.
Beneath all the comic situations, the series celebrates what friendship really is. The essence of 'friendship' can't be better captured than the way it is in the title song.

Sometimes you want to hide away from the world. Sometimes you want to hate everything. Sometimes you want to sulk for no reason. Sometimes you want to scream. Sometimes you want to crib. Sometimes you need someone to regard your whim as a life-altering need. Sometimes you want someone to sympathize with you when you think you have had the worst life. Sometimes you want to tell your story, the whole story. Sometimes, just sometimes you want someone to know your ugliest secret and still be your friend. Sometimes all you need is a good, long hug.
Real friends understand you at such times of unreasonableness.

I watch these 6 characters doing these things for each other in spite of themselves. It reminds me of the friends I have far and near and it helps me appreciate them better.

Friends are better than family. Friends are better than lovers.
So here's to being real friends! :)
PS: Nothing like it, when your family is your friend or your lover is also your friend.
The above picture is from the episode where Rachel impulsively realized she did not want to marry, only it was at the last minute (as is evident from her attire) and runs away to these friends for refuge.

Comments

Anonymous said…
yeah! its much better,
Anonymous said…
This is a nice blog. I like it!
Anonymous said…
i would have felt a wee bit happier if u had said---it would be great if family could also be u r friends
instead of an outright'friends r better than family'- rather revealing!!!
its simply a question of luck& chance--that you get a good combination of friend,family ,lover;
the best situation would be a 3-in-1.
on the flip side there r rotten eggs in each of these groups too.
that u r so clean bowled over by the serial & r able to empathise with it;is the proof of its ^ TRP.I also believe that u r lucky in the friends u choose:family u can't choose;so its always-struggling to BLEND-IN-no choices situation& consequently,like all NO-CHOICE SITUATIONS-Stifling&Restraining & to that extent less apealing
Sucess is being aware of it all& yet balancing beween them all,without breaking awayfrom any!!I think its sounding like a noral science lesson ,so i shall quit
Chinchu said…
Nice post Pooja,
I relate to alot of it and I absolutely love FRIENDS.
I think my dad gave me some awesome advice as a kid.
You cannot choose you'r relatives you are stuck with them for good or bad, but you can choose you'r friends so choose them wisely.
phish said…
ah friends. i have a few who have invited me over. i think i shall take it up soon, what say?
Pooja Nair said…
Yeah thats a good piece of advice Chinchu.

Phish, please take it up!!!

For the record and for anonymous dearest, I love my family!

My family is my friend too!
mathew said…
Hey Pooja..
I think you would love Frasier too..I agree FRIENDS is something to do with our age..But FRASIER is something for us a few years from now..and you will enjoy that too...

Cherian
Pooja Nair said…
hmm okay if you say so.. i will try it out..
Goldbug said…
i love the series too. it may be too corny or too contrived or too whatever the critics call it..but it's fun. and yes.. barring season 8 i can watch any repeats. (i hate the whole joey - rachel love track.)
Anonymous said…
Friends r Precious
but i donno if its the problem with my character or my fate tht ive got only one friend which touch the inner meanings of the word FRIEND.
But im happy tht ive at least one. . . . . . :)

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!