Cats and Dogs

I have witnessed many Cat Vs Dog debates.

Dogs are accused of requiring toilet-training/maintanance and praised for being man's loyal friend.

Cats are accused of being cunning and selfish and praised for being beautiful, cuddly and clean.

I am amongst those who loves them both. I have never really had any pets of my own. Except for the rather short-lived ventures with the odd street cat.

Yet, they have an amazing calming effect on me. Whenever I find myslef in proximity to one, I find myself talking to them. Believe it or not, I really get the sense that they understand me and reply in their own way, much to my husband's amusement. I guess it's becasue they respond to tones. They can recognize a loving tone or an angry tone or a questioning tone and even a sad tone. Well, I think they do.

Dogs and cats use their tails in opposite ways to communicate love and hate. A cat wagging its tail means it hates you. Its vise-versa with Dogs. Similary, Dogs hold their tails up to demonstrate hostility whereas a cat holding its tail up is a sign of friendship.

A cat needs you to look it straight in the eye and stare for as long as possible to establish mutual love and trust. Pretty much like when a man loves a woman. Dogs however, do that to intimidate so never stare into a dogs eyes. You will be heavily misunderstood. Just look at them with smiling eyes fleetingly.

Both love to be stroked/petted constantly. Both love company. Both love to play. Both love something to eat - anytime!

The ultimate reward a dog gives you is when it licks you and settles down near you. The ultimate reward a cat gives you is to purr and settle on your lap. You know that when a Dog or Cat does this with you, you have won it's heart for sure.

Its great fun!

Comments

mathew said…
I like both Cats and Dogs..Though if I have to have a pet it would be a dog..:-)

A colleague of mine here had two cats as pets...When this colleague was pregnant and expecting a delivery she even consciously tried to reduce her attention towards the cat so that they dont feel jealous of the Baby!:-D

I think dogs are more expressive than a cat when they want to show love!
dharmabum said…
oh yes, they're smarter than we think. i've known dogs not to like kids, because i think they are jealous of the attention the little ones get.

and hey, i like them both too!
Pooja Nair said…
heh! :)

Welcome to the "we love cats AND dogs" club.
meraj said…
wow! what a lovely post....though am not much for any of the two, am all for this post :)
Anonymous said…
My husband and I love both cats and dogs. We have two cats who let us live with them, and a spunky dog (Sadie) who thinks she is another cat. The cats are not very fond of Sadie, but she absolutely adores them! They are all unique little creatures, and add a lot of laughter and affection to our lives.
Pooja Nair said…
Thanks Meraj.

Ilegirl,

I just love the way you say they let you live wiht them. :)

It must be a pleasure having them around...
Chinchu said…
I favour dogs, their affection has always seemed unconditonal. Cats on the other hand have attitude and make you work hard for their attention. You could say they have more personality to deal with. Nice post.
Pooja Nair said…
That makes it two votes for dogs - Mathew's and Chinchu's :)

Paawam poocha... :)

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!