Why I smile

People have always pointed out to me that I smile all the time. Two days ago a trainee in my office declared that he had come with a name for me – smiley queen. I had heard that before. There are others who call me smiley. My earliest memories of being told that I have a smiling face was when I was around 7 - I don’t remember. I’ve been trying to analyze this. Why do I keep smiling? I think it’s more of an involuntary action. Most of the time, I don’t realize that I’m smilinCome to think of it, perhaps various experiences during the course of my life reinstated this obviously pleasing habit. Another episode was when I went abroad for the first time in 2001. We landed in JFK airport and one of the first things I noticed at the airport besides all the white skin, blond hair and blue eyes was that everyone smiled at one another. One could argue that these smiles are superficial but they made me happy nonetheless.

Once I read this ‘chicken soup for the soul’ type of story about how once a smiling face in a crowd got me smiling and my smiling face made someone else smile and soon the whole crowd was smiling and so on…and how soon the world was smiling. I know – very “chicken soupy” but I like the idea of spreading smiles in the world just by smiling at someone in front of you.

Also, it is the positive rub-off I get from smiling at everyone that may have re-established the habit. To me, it is the easiest way to get by life. It helps to have people on your side. And when you smile at them it means the following: I accept you. I understand you. I like you. It automatically generates a positive feeling. It makes the person being smiled at feel happy. It makes him/her fond of the smiling person. Being popular never hurt anyone. Did it?

Well, that’s my self psychoanalysis of why I smile.

Now I wonder why some people don’t smile. Why do some people hold their noses up in the air? Why do some people constantly look angry/irritated? How does that help them? Do they prefer being intimidating and unpopular? Do they like driving away people?

There has to be a similar psychoanalysis for them too. What is their thinking?

Comments

Dileep said…
Hi Pooja,
:)..:)

I am also fond of smiling.. I do so!.. but there are some people in the world who think
that
" if they give away a ravisihing smile,
they are being so normal and approachable.. so they mean they're different by not smiling at all"
some others don't have courtesy either

:):):)
I feel a smile makes every one accept each other easily..tats why we normally love kids..bcoz they smile a lot!..
meraj said…
i like smiling at people too (not all the time, though). but its got nothing to do with acceptance, understanding or liking that person. i smile because
a) it feels good to me as well as the receiver of the smile (am sure)
b) its a sort of acknowledgement to a fellow club member of mankind (what you call as acceptance, perhaps)

understanding and liking that person can only happen with interactions which go further than just a smile...a smile just conveys that maybe i am willing to understand you or like you.

some people are lost into heir own world/thinking about some problem or work or commutation and perhaps thats why they are not smiling all the time (but yeah grumpy looking people are a turn off). in a city like Mumbai, most people develope a natural grumpy look owing to the ever increasing stress levels.

smiling / laughing kids are one of the best sights as they are a few of those genuine things of this world. once, i used to think that the honesty of somebody's smile should be the currency...kids would have been the richest!
Sudha said…
Hi Pooja,

When one is constantly braving all sorts of challenges just to get through each day, it is not always easy to keep smiling, whether you want to or not. The ability to smile effortlessly even when you are in the midst of strangers is a 'disposition' that becomes a habit. It comes easy to some people, but for some others it is not easy to keep smiling in an unfamiliar surrounding. So Pooja, you are one of the lucky ones who naturally smile their way through life. So don't worry, be happy.

-Sudha
Brown Weed said…
nice sunny post, Sunshine! If one could upload a song for a comment, I'd upload some Beatles:
la la la la..
little darling,
  the smiles returning to the faces,
little darling,
  it seems like years since it's been here,
here comes the sun,
  here comes the sun,
and I say it's all right!
pooja

i agree with the smile karo thing. me too does it all the time. smile and the world smiles with u snore and u sleep alone. smiling in the present is so good cause it improves ur future to such a big extent. i like ppl who smile reason or no reason. they improve the climate of the place. things feel less stressfull. oh my go i could go on and on.
ya but i love ur smile bole to ekdum dil se smile karti hai.
squeek squeek
the smiley mouse.
Pooja Nair said…
And the smile helped me elicit a response from the mouse on my blog finally!! wow! :)
ok if thats the case then the mouse will comment from here on. ok maam.
squeeks
Reetesh Khare said…
Hi Pooja,

Read your write up on your smiling, and smiled effortlessly!
I think your “lines for me” in my slam book are working!!

Well, whenever I spare a thought on smiling, I immediately think of pleasant faces like you. I think its more of a natural quality which is enhanced day by day. Without questioning the learning part, I must say that too much effort never works. If something can work in this direction is only the reception of feelings. If they are settled in the best positive manner and nothing unpleasant takes a toll on you, I believe...smile would come with ease.

I always experience this beautiful feeling when anything touches me in the most candid way!
Like your smile!
Keep it lively, ever and ever...
Cheers!!
boss smile karte karte mera to moo dukhne lag gayaa hai aur soonao.
smilely squeeky mouse
Dileep said…
some people have a proud smile..some have a shy smile..sometimes eyes also smile..smiles is a " mile " long word..
and sometimes we have tears wen we smile..

sometimses we have a naughty smile :);)
phish said…
i like what you write. do it more often. i have almost stopped smiling myself. then i read this.
meraj said…
and how did i forget to mention the famous opening lines of csn's debut album track celled 'wooden ships'. its goes like this....its beautiful...

'If you smile at me, I will understand
'Cause that is something everybody everywhere does
in the same language.'
KP said…
good Article...A smile on ur face can do great things..still people dont smile......I guess its an unsolved mistry.....
Unknown said…
why does any one smile???coz it takes only 8 muscles to smile & 108 muscles to frown!! economy of effort!!! simbly !!! lola kutty[mtv]
viplavi4shanti said…
Hi Pooja!

You have a smile that lights up the environment! So keep doing the world that service!

I too am considered "smiley" (must run in the family! :))...I have to say though that sometimes, my smile is like a mask...a defense mechanism....not always a genuine reflection of how I'm feeling. I think for me personally, I would like to acheive a balance between spreading cheer and honesty.

Lovely blog, sweetie!
Pooja Nair said…
Interesting observation there LC. I had written this blog over 2 years ago...now i have changed a bit...i don't smile unless i feel like it anymore...:)
So, I guess the honesty is setting in as well...
But, u are right sometimes the smile is a default mask i wear too... :p

Popular posts from this blog

Narendra Modi - protector of Hindutva?

The joke in stereotypes

Narendra Modi for PM? - No Thanks!